People Initiative for Accountability and Social Auditing (PIASA)
The People Initiative for Accountability and Social Auditing (PIASA) has been registered as a society under the Registration of Societies Act, 1860 with the broad objective of creating thinking environment to help evolve the process of making democratic governance accountable and to make efforts in the direction of social auditing of the governance.
The efforts in this direction started during 2003-04 when a meeting was convened at Dwarka where some interested persons from different fields– political science, governance, economics, philosophy, law, accounts and audit, media, social and behavioural research, education etc discussed the developments in the country. The deliberations continued and the PIASA as a society was registered on 29 January 2013.
It is a matter of great pleasure for the PIASA that accountability is one of the very frequently used words for increasing the efficiency of the functionaries at different levels in the government. It is a step in the direction of accountability. The concept of accountability of democratic governance has to evolve in the light of the evolving concept of democracy in the 21st Century and onwards. The concept of social auditing of a democracy is a step further in that direction that has to evolve. The faster the concept of accountability and social auditing of democratic governance evolves the better it is for the health of democracy and democratic governance world over.
The People Initiative for Accountability and Social Auditing (PIASA) endeavours to encompass a wide ranging activities and programmes of awareness generation, conscientisation, teaching, training, orientation and research for developing responsible citizenship and promoting scientific temperament in the country. The PIASA strives to conceptualise accountability and social auditing of democratic governance and how to ensure achieving accountability and social auditing of governance in the country.
Some of the broad objectives are:
1. To work for promotion of legal literacy and generate awareness to awaken consciousness towards observance of law one of the basic tenets of democratic governance.
2. To undertake activities and organize programmes to promote tolerance and scientific temperament and better understanding about secularism among the citizens leading to environment of harmony for the furtherance of the cause of responsible citizens.
3.To undertake various types of activities and programmes at different levels to generate awareness, awakening and consciousness about duties, rights and responsibilities among the citizens and also to educate and mobilise the citizens for enhancing their participation in decision making at different levels leading to sharing in the democratic governance of the country.
4. To build and mobilise the citizens for transparency in public affairs management/administration and to organize citizens to take up lawful activities for making administration– governmental and non-government – responsive, responsible and accountable.
5. To organize, independently or in collaboration, training, interface and orientation programmes for citizens and administrative agencies involved in public affairs.
6.To equip citizens by developing in them capacities and capabilities for sharing and taking up responsibilities at different levels of governance.
7.To prepare, organize and mobilize citizens by lawful activities to take legal recourse to seek redress and solution of their grievances and problems and to work for adoption of social security policy etc.
8. To undertake health awareness programmes including population control and to work for extension of adequate health care facilities to all citizens.
9. To work towards achieving the education for all and building an environment of human resource development planning with perspective towards integrating the society.
10. To initiate and or undertake research, consultancy and other studies in the matters relating to accountability and social auditing of democratic governance including social, economic, cultural, political, educational and other aspects of Indian society.
11. To open schools, colleges and other educational institutions and centres to cater to the target sections of the society.
12. To establish or cause to establish libraries, reading rooms and such other facilities for the benefit of citizens and produce or cause to produce films, documentaries, educational material etc. for the citizens especially children, youth, women and all other weaker sections of the society for enhancing and strengthening their empowerment and to bring out material by using print, audio, video and other technologies for the benefit of citizens and administration.
13.To organize seminars, symposia, workshops, conferences and colloquia to disseminate ideas, views, information etc. on accountability and social auditing of democratic governance for the various sections of society to promote healthy and harmonious understanding and interaction.
14. To initiate and or undertake research, consultancy and developmental programmes for the uplift and betterment of citizens also to work for empowerment generally of citizens and especially the women, children, old, physically and mentally challenged and the weaker sections comprising of SC, ST and the Backwards and to establish old age homes especially for the people in tribal, rural and backward areas.
15. To generate awakening among the citizens and mobilise them for preservation and utilisation of natural resources like water, wind, solar, oil and other resources and to educate and mobilize the citizens to respect, promote, conserve wildlife, flora and fauna in order to harmonise the environment and human habitation.
16. To collaborate with other institutions and agencies pursuing similar objectives.
17. To establish or cause to establish centres of research and learning to promote the aims and objects of the Society.
18. To create a market place for Producer and END –USER meeting and discourage their exploitation at all levels of production and availability of goods, services etc.
To accept fees, donations, contributions, grants-in aids, movable, immovable property or any other type of financial or non-financial assistance and help for the cause of the society and activities to be undertaken under its various objectives.
TO STRIVE TO BUILD A SYSTEM OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND SOCIAL AUDITING OF DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE THROUGH AWARENESS GENERATION, INTERACTION AND MOBILISATION